Thursday, February 25, 2010

Winos and Painting Glasses

My roommate (who has requested to be called Steamboat Willie) and I went to a class to learn how to paint wine glasses tonight at the Lakeville Art Center. I think I expected this to be harder than it was, but it ended up being no harder than normal painting (which is still plenty hard for me!). We each made a glass and got to drink a few glasses to help "inspire our creativity." I have to say, they turned out better than either one of us expected.

To make things a little bit easier, our teacher had printed out some patterns for us that you could tape onto the inside of the glass. This gave me some good ideas, but I ended up not using it much--the paper was straight while the glass was curved, which threw off my depth perception. Truthfully, I think I painted better on the bottom of the glass, without the pattern. But, it's a comforting way to start and it helps with placement of each thing on the glass, and she said it is pretty easy to find patterns just through a Google search. I'm not finding a lot, but you could also just use stencils or a line drawing you find anywhere.

The glasses had to be washed thoroughly, then primed with something that smelled absolutely terrible, and then finally painted. I guess a lot of paints require that you bake the glass in the oven after you finish, but the kind we used just needs to sit for 10 days before being used. After the 10 days, we'll also wrap a string of beads around the stem of the glass.

The glass on the left with the grape vines is Steamboat Willie's, and the glass on the right with the daisies is mine. Not bad for our first attempts--next up will be the margarita glasses for our upcoming tequila party!

No comments: