Monday, April 26, 2010

Book Reviews: The Lightning Thief and Eat, Pray, Love"

I finished two books yesterday. I ended up along on an "adventure" with Henry as he played some very geeky card games with his friends, so I made him stop so I could get another book to read when I finished my library book.

I got Eat, Pray, Love from the library on a friend's recommendation. The book is basically about a woman who goes through a very painful divorce and decides to find peace with herself by travelling and searching out three important aspects she needs in her life: pleasure, discipline and balance. It was an interesting story; the author spent four months in Italy learning Italian and eating, four months in India meditating and learning traditional Hindu yoga, and four months in Bali studying with a medicine man, healer and learning to live in society with people again. There were some really interesting ideas in this book, and I really liked the premise. There are also some great one-liners of wisdom that I took away. On the negative side, the author herself drove me up the wall. I don't think I really fully understood that in the book about a depressed woman trying to find herself would be full of a lot (for lack of a better word) whining. There would be long spells when I could sympathize with her and find her story interesting, but every so often it just reminded me a little too much of a teenaged girl crying because she didn't have a date for Friday night. All in all, I have mixed feelings, but I'm glad I read it. It's a good travel read, and provides an interesting introduction to some ideas that normal Americans don't usually have a ton of exposure to--like yoga and traditional Bali life.

At my emergency stop, I found that the best book I could find in Best Buy was The Lightning Thief. It's a kids book and has the simplicity of a kids book, but it was entertaining. The story is about a kid who learns by being chased by monsters that he's the son of one of the Greek gods, who are still very much alive and involved in the world. It then follows his training and quests. It can be a little cheesy (in particular, some of the jokes are a little groan-worthy!) but if you take it as a kids book, it's a good read. It's also a very fast one--I think I finished it in three hours or under. There's not a lot I can say about the book without giving away important parts of the story, but I liked it enough that I'll be seeking out the next books in the series.

Tomorrow I'm going to be holding real (not mini) golf clubs for the first time. After Steamboat Willie got called out for mocking golf as a dumb game when she had never played it, we planned a group outing of a bunch of people from work to a driving range. Most of us have either never golfed before or are terrible, so I'll be in good company. My goal by the end of the evening is to be able to actually connect with the ball most of the time when I swing...I'm pretty sure my first few shots are going to miss entirely!

No comments: