Monday, April 12, 2010

Gardening...a beginning!

I hardly went inside yesterday. It was beautiful outside and I got my first Minnesota sunburn of the season. It was wonderful.

Last year, Henry and I dug a garden outside his house for me to plant. I had been whining for awhile about how I wanted one and wished I could cultivate the deck in my apartment, and I think he finally got sick of hearing it! Either way, this spring I uncovered a huge patch of black dirt waiting for me.

After many, many phone calls to my mom trying to figure out what exactly I should be doing, I planted my first seeds yesterday. I had no idea what I should be planting this early (really, I wouldn't have thought I should be planting anything at the beginning of April, if it was up to me!), but I figured out that there was actually quite a lot of things I should be planting. Yesterday, I took care of my snap peas, carrots, onions and potatoes.
Tomorrow, I'm planning on adding broccoli and cauliflower, and in another week or so I'll plant my squash in a pot to get it started. I don't think I'll actually be able to say I've achieved my goal of planting a garden for another month of so (when it's warm enough to put in the peppers, tomatoes and strawberries) but I have a good start!

No comments: