Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Golfing (kind of)

Ok, I take it back...all the things I've said about golf in my life and how incredibly boring it seems. At least, I think I do--I have yet to play an actual round of real golf. And based on my performance today at the driving range, I think it will be quite awhile before I'm ready for anything like a real game of golf! Especially the kind where there are other golfers behind me who need to wait for me to finish the hole before they can get there. I can't even finish mini-golf in time to avoid upsetting families with children, generally, and I can hit the ball every time when it comes to mini-golf.


This is me. Notice how my club is coming down about two inches behind the ball.

This is also me. I feel like I look cool in this photo, until I realize that the ball is really not very far away and didn't go much further than that. But hey, at least I hit it, right?

I need to work on these digressions...the moral of the story was that I had fun, even though I was really, really terrible. Luckily Henry came with to give me some lessons, because until today, I had never held real golf clubs. And it definitely showed! I think I missed my first 10-15 swings completely. By the end of the day, though, I had showed some pretty significant improvement: I was hitting the ball once every five or six swings! (Yes, I know. That's still sad. But I have to get excited about the small things, especially when it comes to me and athletics.) And I hit four in a row once without missing. As long as I ignored all the serious golfers around us and just concentrated on our group (most of who also missed the ball a lot), it was a lot of fun.

We did take some videos, but I'm going to have to do some messing with them to make them show up right side up. Hopefully we'll be doing this again soon, with another few women from work who weren't able to come today!

No comments: