Monday, December 14, 2009

A cold experiment?

I love Minnesota. I can genuinely say that from about April until October, and for the rest of the year I keep repeating it like a mantra, hoping eventually it will be true in the winter, too. Since I grew a little too old to spend all my afternoons in the sun sledding or making snowmen, it's become a lot less true. There are plenty of adult sports that you need to be outside for, but I'm absolutely terrified of downhill skiing or snowboarding (I would give myself T-30 seconds before I landed in a tree--probably the top branches where they couldn't figure out how to get me down) and I can't skate more than a foot or so before I fall down. For all that, I would still love to find something that would get me outside during the winter and make me hate the snow less.

Enter my next idea for a project--cross country skiing? I haven't tried it since the 2 week unit we had in the middle school, and I can't remember if I was good at it or not. I don't remember it being particularly hard...but we were just going in circles around a perfectly flat track. We'll see if this manages to be one of my ideas that sticks around for more than a week, but I've found a few places within an hour drive or so that offer classes and equipment rental. That and my mother said she's always thought about cross country skiing but never done it, so maybe I can hold myself to it by making it a mother-daughter outing.

Right now this seems like a fabulously fun idea for tolerating winter, getting a little bit of exercise that I actually enjoy, and learning something new (FINALLY!). Cross my fingers it's an experiment that works!

No comments: