Saturday, December 26, 2009

A tribute for Christmas

This Christmas Eve I went back to Christ Lutheran Church in Faribault, MN--the first church I voluntarily went to and the only church that I have ever felt a connection to. Each time I go back to Christ Lutheran, I realize once again what it is that holds me to it. Christ Lutheran is the only church I've been to that hasn't held an attitude of trying to rescue all those people who aren't good enough to belong and that still holds tolerance and understanding for other people as a virtue. Every service I have ever been to has ended with announcements of opportunities to help people in need--no strings attached--solely for the purpose of helping others and bringing light to their life, no matter their beliefs or choices.

This attitude and focus begins and is continually upheld by Pastor Craig Breimhorst. He is one of the only men who I can say (without irony) seems to strive in every aspect of his life to be Christ-like; he has dedicated his life towards helping people find a genuine relationship with God in whatever way is most meaningful to them and to helping those who are in need and trying to bring hope to those who don't have any. He doesn't restrict his help to those who belong to his parish or even to Christianity, and his help doesn't come with lectures or proselytizing. Instead, Pastor Craig spends his life trying to show the love that he knows for and from God, and that love is shown in every word and action within his church.

I don't generally like to talk about religion and faith; it's something that I feel is intensely personal and for many people my age has more negative connotations than positive. It's used far too often as a box to restrict people and a platform for judging other people. There are very few people who I would feel comfortable describing as Christ-like, but Pastor Craig's continual efforts to improve people's lives was and still is an inspiration for my own faith. After attending Christ Lutheran this week, I want to give tribute to a man who dedicates so much of his time and energy to improving the lives of others.

No comments: