Friday, January 15, 2010

Zip Lining Adventures

I went zip lining twice in Puerto Vallarta--once through Los Veranos Canopy tours and once in my outdoor adventure through Vallarta Adventures. Both times were surprisingly completely different (even though they were in the same area) and a lot of fun. Our Los Veranos tour was a Christmas present from my boyfriend's (I'll call him Henry) parents, who were kind enough to open their time share to us. The outdoor adventure was my choice after looking at the Vallarta Adventures website, which I finally talked Henry into at the last minute.

If you've never been zip lining, it's a little scary and a lot exhilerating. You strap yourself in to a fancy harness and helmet that makes everyone look ridiculous, clip yourself onto a big steel cable between a couple of platforms and trees, and jump. Then you zip from platform to platform like that, going as fast as you can depending on the rope they use, the angle and how you are sitting.

Saturday's outdoor adventure started out the zip lining tours, and the course was a lot faster and more adventurous than the last zip lining course I did. It was also through a real jungle, which made it a lot more interesting! We sped pretty quickly from through the first few lines, and then made it a little more interesting using the same gear to rappel down the 30 meter high waterfall. I have to admit that I didn't see most of the view, because every time I looked down I found out that I had tightened up my hand so far that I wasn't moving any more. From looking sideways, though, it was beautiful! We landed about knee deep in a cold mountain pool, and from there jumped on the next zip line to land neck deep in a VERY cold mountain pool. A few more lines further, we clipped ourselves onto a line going straight down and fell straight down, until at the last minute we were caught by the guides belaying us.

At Los Veranos, most of the courses were higher up but slower. The braking mechanism was a little fancier (rather than just pushing down using a glove to slow us down, we had a bar to brake). This let us look around a little more, which was fun. Most fun about this course, though, was that at the end of each line, the guides would take a person across riding tandem to get to the next platform. If you were riding with a guide and didn't need to worry about braking, you got to ride backwards, spinning around and upside down! I was lucky enough to get to do this twice since I was at the end of the line. And to finish off both tours, we had a homerun stretch where we raced. I can't say I'm the best at going fast and racing, but it was still fun!

I would highly recommend both tours to anyone in the area!

No comments: