Friday, September 12, 2014

Exploring the Countryside - Our Last day in scotland

All total, we had a little over 48 hours in Scotland. Most of that was spent in Edinburgh,  but on our last day I wanted to cross something off my bucket list: going to Lockerbie, Scotland. I am not by any means a genealogy nut,  but for some reason I've always wanted to go to the town where my name and ancestors came from - so that was the agenda for part of our last day in Scotland.

We started the morning in the Witchery, where we discovered that our included "continental breakfast" was in fact a room service breakfast delivered to the fancy dining table in our suite.

We had been warned (both by family members who had been there and the strange looks people in Edinburgh gave us when we told them where we were stopping) that Lockerbie was a tiny town without a lot to see.

I'm still not sure we were prepared to find the town so sleepy that the town square was covered in statues...of sheep. Other than a pretty church or two, it was, as expected,  just a quiet little town. We took off walking to see the visitor center, which was about half a mile outside of town. I learned a little bit more about my family history there, but mostly we both enjoyed the peaceful scenery after the hustle of Edinburgh.

No comments: